“The Fate of the Furious” Had a Record Worldwide Opening
“The Fate of the Furious” opened with $532.5 million globally, making it the biggest worldwide opening ever. It just edged out “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”, which made $529 million in its opening weekend.
Here in the U.S., “The Fate of the Furious” made $100.2 million, which was obviously good enough for a #1 debut.
1. NEW: “The Fate of the Furious”, $100.2 million.
2. “The Boss Baby”, $15.5 million. Up to $116.3 million in its 3rd week.
3. “Beauty and the Beast”, $13.6 million. Up to $454.6 million in its 5th week.
4. “Smurfs: The Lost Village”, $6.5 million. Up to $24.7 million in its 2nd week.
5. “Going in Style”, $6.4 million. Up to $23.4 million in its 2nd week.
6. “Gifted”, $3 million. Up to $4.4 million in its 2nd week.
7. “Get Out”, $2.9 million. Up to $167.5 million in its 8th week.
8. “Power Rangers”, $2.85 million. Up to $80.6 million in its 4th week.
9. “The Cast for Christ”, $2.7 million. Up to $8.4 million in its 2nd week.
10. “Kong: Skull Island”, $2.67 million. Up to $161.2 million in its 6th week.
Carrie Fisher Will Not Be in “Star Wars 9” After All
Last week, CARRIE FISHER’s brother Todd said Carrie would be in “Star Wars 9”. Well, he was wrong.
On Friday, Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy said Todd must have been “confused”, because Carrie’s not in it.
Kennedy said Carrie’s work in Part 8 is FANTASTIC . . . but when she died, they basically had to scrap all their plans for her in Part 9 and start over.
On a related note, if you haven’t seen it by now, the new trailer for Part 8, “The Last Jedi”, came out on Friday. As of last night it had more than 24 million views.
Melissa McCarthy Brought Sean Spicer Back to “SNL”
MELISSA MCCARTHY was back on “Saturday Night Live” this weekend as White House Press Secretary SEAN SPICER, and as usual, she killed it.
“Spicey” came out in an Easter Bunny costume, which was appropriate, because Spicer actually WAS the Easter Bunny for the White House Easter Egg Roll during the Bush administration about a decade ago.
Obviously, the main point of attack was Spicer’s flub about Hitler not using chemical weapons, and how he called concentration camps HOLOCAUST CENTERS.
Melissa said, quote, “It would be really great if the nitpickers would try to see the big picture, and didn’t solely focus on every little slur and lie I say. That’d be nice.”
Warning! There’s a “G-dang” at 1:59. )
ALEC BALDWIN also returned as PRESIDENT TRUMP, in a sketch where he had to choose between STEVE BANNON and his son-in-law JARED KUSHNER. This week’s host JIMMY FALLON played Kushner.