The City of Holly Hill, in partnership with local social service agencies, will host a “Block Party” in celebration of Child Abuse Prevention month on Friday, April 20th. The Block Party will be held at Holly Hill City Hall, 1065 Ridgewood Ave., from 5:00 to 8:00 PM. The Party promises to be fun for the whole family and will include children’s activities, educational material, food trucks and more. For more information call 386-481-9198.
There are many ways to prevent children from being abused or neglected.
– Florida law requires that if someone suspects that a child may be neglected or abused, they must contact the Florida Abuse Hotline. The Hotline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The phone number is 1-800-96-ABUSE, or 1-800-962-2873.
– You can find out more about the signs of child abuse or neglect at this website: dontmissthesigns.org.
– If you know a parent who may be stressed, encourage them to get help, whether from their friends or relatives, their church, or local nonprofit agencies. If you’re a victim of family violence or if you’re struggling with addiction, you can call 2-1-1 on your phone to find out about agencies that can assist you.
The Florida Department of Children and Families offers the following safety tips to help children:
– Babies should never sleep in the same bed with an adult, due to the risk of suffocation. Avoid deaths from co-sleeping by following the A-B-C’s of Safe Sleep: that babies sleep safest Alone, on their Backs, and in Cribs.
– To prevent drownings, children should never swim without an adult actively watching them at all times. We also encourage swimming lessons for children.
– Never leave a child inside a hot car! The inside of a car can heat up dramatically in a short period of time. Always check to make sure that your child is not in your car before you leave it.